If you're anything like us, you get home from a long work day and the last thing you want to do is slave away in the kitchen. A little prior prep work can be a real time savor for getting a healthy homemade meal on the table.
Casseroles are the answer. Make it ahead, refrigerate, then heat and eat. This casserole gets bonus points cause it makes some mean leftovers. It's oh-so-good, I just had to share it with you all.
makes 6-8 servings
13.5 oz penne pasta, al dente
1/3 cup pesto
1 lb ground Italian sausage, browned
1 onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1 tsp minced garlic, dried
2 zucchini, sliced
2 cups broccoli
3 oz smoked sun dried tomatoes
2 cups cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta to al dente (slightly chewy). Drain and rinse pasta and mix with pesto.
- Brown sausage in large pot or dutch oven.
- Add peppers, onion, and garlic and cook until translucent, scraping the bottom of the pan to pick up the sausage bits.
- Add rest of vegetables and cook until warm.
- Drizzle large baking dish with olive oil or tomato sauce to prevent sticking. Layer 1/2 pasta, 1/2 sausage mixture, 1 cup cheese and repeat.
- Bake casserole at 375 degrees until heated through. (about 30 minutes if refrigerated)
- If eating later, wrap in plastic wrap and foil and refrigerate.