We are on a streak. An eating at home streak. Eric and I like the convenience of eating out a few times a week but to be honest it’s frustrating when we do a budget review because it adds up so flipping quickly. We aren’t giving up our Saturday morning breakfast dates, that’s for sure but just trying to trim back a bit and I’m pleased that it’s working.
I planned our menu this week with a few recipes from Ina Garten’s “Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics”. This Italian Wedding Soup stood out to me because I was in the mood for a lighter summery soup and I wanted to make popovers like my friend Jackie.
These recipes are new to me, and I felt like stepping outside my comfort zone in the kitchen and try something new. It’s adventurous and fun!
Meatballs have been a staple in our home since I started meal prep. All types of meatballs, and so yummy that we eat them before I have time to snap an image. One day, I promise. This week’s serving of meatballs are super moist in this Italian Wedding Soup.
I adapted Ina’s recipe to include quinoa for a gluten free whole grain and more common ingredients that I have on hand. It makes a lot for us so I froze half of the recipe for a later week. My freezer is starting to fill up with foods that I’ve prepped! Success!
- FOR THE MEATBALLS
- ¾ pound ground chicken breast
- ½ pound hot italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- ⅔ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- FOR THE SOUP
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ¼ cup diced celery
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- 12 ounces baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients for meatballs in a bowl and mix together with a fork just until combined.
- Using a cooking scoop or spoon, form meatballs onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. (It makes about 30 meatballs).
- Bake for 30 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery to pan and sauté until softened.
- Add chicken stock and wine to pot and bring to a boil.
- Add quinoa to the boiling broth and cook for about 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Add the fresh dill, meatballs, and spinach to soup and simmer for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.