Vegetarian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.
A yummy veggie filled meal or side for your meaty main.
These Vegetarian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers filled with quinoa, mushrooms, kale and dried tart cherries and topped with walnuts and a tart cherry reduction. Talk about flavor bomb.
If you’re looking for a vegetarian friendly dish that is comforting and nutritious– these Vegetarian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers are it!
Sweet and savory. A little tart and a tad bit nutty. I love everything about these Vegetarian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.
This is a recipe that I developed for the Cherry Marketing Institute, because I have a deep love for Montmorency tart cherries and the exercise recovery aspect that the fruit provides seals the deal.
Less muscle soreness post workout, I’m in! Need all the help I can get lately with CrossFit workouts that leave me sore.
I’m all about protein when it comes to recovery too.
If you want to make this recipe even quicker, stir in 3 cups cooked quinoa for the dry quinoa called for in this recipe (omitting the vegetable broth of course)… shaving 20 minutes off the cook time for these Vegetarian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.
For my veggie friends out there: If you’re looking for help with your vegetarian diet, my registered dietitian friend and plant-based foodie Ashley just launched her e-course, Tuning Up Your Plant Based Diet and she’s giving it out for FREE to all Love & Zest readers: FREE Tune Up Your Plant Based Diet E-Course
- 2 teaspoons olive oil + additional for drizzling
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1 cup dry pre-washed quinoa
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups packed chopped kale
- ½ cup dried tart cherries
- 1 (16 oz.) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 green bell peppers, halved and deseeded
- ¼ cup walnut halves, chopped
- ¼ cup tart cherry concentrate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large saute pan that has a lid, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute shallot, garlic and mushrooms until softened; stir in Italian seasonings and quinoa continue to cook for about 1 minute.
- Pour in vegetable broth and increase heat to high to bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cover with a lid to cook for 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to rest covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff quinoa mixture with a fork and stir in kale, tart cherries, and garbanzo beans. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Stuff quinoa mixture into bell pepper halves and place in a large baking dish or sheet pan. Drizzle stuffed peppers lightly with olive oil or coat with cooking spray. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- To prepare the tart cherry reduction, heat tart cherry concentrate in small sauce pan over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring as needed to achieve a warmed thick sauce.
- Once peppers have finished cooking, remove from oven and garnish with walnut halves and tart cherry reduction. Serve warm; enjoy as a vegetarian entree or side dish to a meaty main.