Authentic Vegetarian Sofritas Burrito Bowls are just what you need for dinner tonight. Make it a fiesta and serve over cilantro lime brown rice with sweet plantains and blue corn tortilla chips.
Okay, this recipe is my new jam. I’ve made it back to back nights– veggie style and with shredded chicken because the hubs prefers meat. I was happy when my intern Kristy shared her authentic sofritas recipe with me! She spent the last two weeks in Orlando for her enrichment rotation to finish up her dietetic internship. Woot woot! I know the feeling when you FINALLY log all your hours before the RD exam. Talk about relief.
She also taught me how to make THE BEST cilantro lime rice and sweet plantains. It was a cultural immersion in my house last week and I am happy because it’s just in time to share with you for Cinco de Mayo! Get excited!
I thought sofritas was always made with tofu, thanks to Chipotle, but I learned sofritas is a mix of veggies that’s sautéed down into a chunky sauce. It’s usually pored over or mixed with your protein of choice.
Onions, garlic, lots of garlic, bell peppers, vine ripe tomatoes, and jalapeños are sautéed in a skillet over medium low heat. While the sauce is simmering, cook up the rice and chicken if you wish or if you’re doing tofu like in this recipe, you just add it at the end.
If only you could smell this delish vegetarian sofritas bowl right now– oh and those plantains are like dessert- I just can’t stop eating them out of the pan! This bowl is so good.
Oh and because Cinco de Mayo is on Thursday, I’ll be sharing a new Mexican recipe each day so that you will have a authentic fiesta! Enjoy!
Serve this deliciousness over –> Cilantro Lime Brown Rice (click over for recipe).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 3 vine ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced (depending on how hot you want it-- keep the seeds)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- ⅓ cup sherry wine vinegar
- 12 ounces firm tofu, drained and diced or crumbled
- salt to taste
- In large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Stir in bell peppers, tomatoes, and jalapeños; continuing to sauté until softened. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add bay leaf, cumin, oregano, and vinegar and mix until combined.
- Once sauce begins to thicken, stir in tofu (or cooked protein of choice) and cook until heated through.
- Remove from heat and serve over cilantro lime brown rice.--> http://www.loveandzest.com/2016/05/cilantro-lime-brown-rice.html
- NOTE: Nutrition facts does not include rice, plantains, or chips.