Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe will have you screaming “WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER”! Instant pot chicken breast recipes for the win!
It’s so easy and convenient when you have zero time to cook and need dinner on the table fast. Bonus points, one pot clean up. Yipee! And that’s why the IP is one of my top gifts for the modern mama. and simple for making chicken breast in the instant pot.
Okay, I gave in… I ordered a 6 Quart Instant Pot on Amazon Prime Day (this a link to the one that I use for this recipe) earlier this month and have successfully cooked this Instant Pot Chicken and Yellow Rice recipe at least once a week.
Because cooking chicken breast in the instant pot is pretty amazing and life changing. I’m one of those people that wait until the last minute to decide what’s for dinner.
Enter Instant Pot and more Instant Pot Chicken Breast recipes. Woot woot!
Why I love my Instant Pot.
My old stove top pressure cooker died a few years back. I always enjoyed using it but I just never replaced it… it wasn’t a kitchen essential in my book, and was somewhat scary to use. That is, until I met the Instant Pot. I love this appliance because it’s more than just an electric pressure cooker…
it’s a slow cooker,
and has a sauté and warm function…and it’s actually pretty intuitive to use.
One of the big pros is that you can sauté in the pot. Have you ever wanted to sauté up your veggies or brown your meat before tossing it into the slow cooker?? My hand is raised high. I would generally skip that step in the name of NOT DOING THE DISHES even though I know that is what helps to lock in the flavor on pot roasts, and develops more depth in dishes that call for onions.
AND I hate dishes. So the Instant Pot now saves my life.
And I’m thanking my friend Jo for making this Cajun Vegetable Rice and convincing me to Amazon Prime this Instant Pot.
Can you put frozen chicken breast in the instant pot?
UMM YES. The Instant Pot is also my new favorite way to cook shredded chicken. You’ve gotta try my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe. Seriously though, theres nothing better than tossing frozen (or fresh chicken breast) in the instant pot and having chicken for days! Goodbye slow cooker hello Instant Pot.
And in case you were wondering how to use all that shredded chicken on hand…check out this post for 10 Ways To Use Shredded Chicken for Easy Weeknight Meal
I made this amazing Lemon Chicken Salad today from raw chicken to finished dish in like 30 mins flat.
Can’t wait to see what all I come up with using my Instant Pot! Stay tuned.
I’d love to know if you make this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe! Do you have an Instant Pot?? Would you like to see more recipes like this?
If you need an Instant Pot this is the one that I recommend and use!
Watch our recipe video for visual prep instructions and tips!
Need more Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes?Print
This Instant Pot Chicken and Yellow Rice will have you screaming winner winner chicken dinner. It’s so easy and convenient when you have zero time to cook and need dinner on the table fast. Bonus points, one pot clean up. Yipee!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, small diced (1 cup chopped or 160g)
- 2 cups brown basmati rice (363g)
- 1 3/4 cup 33% reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh carrots (150g)
- 1 cup frozen peas (146g)
- 1 cup frozen corn (141g)
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1 teaspoon packed fresh oregano leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thick crystal kosher or sea salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (divided)
- 1.25 pounds raw chicken breast
- Using 6 qt Instant Pot, turn on to SAUTE mode on NORMAL heat. Heat olive oil and sauté onions until translucent, 3 minutes. Press CANCEL to turn off Instant Pot.
- Add broth and brown rice to the pot and mix with onions. Stir in carrots, frozen peas, frozen corn, turmeric, saffron, oregano, bay leaf and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. IMPORTANT: Stir the rice and veggies to make sure to fully incorporate vegetables with the rice.
- Arrange chicken breasts on top of rice mixture; season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- IMPORTANT: Push chicken down into the rice with some veggies on top of the chicken.
- Secure lid on Instant Pot, and turn nozzle to SEALING. Cook on MANUAL setting with HIGH PRESSURE for 25 minutes.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: It takes 15 minutes for this dish to reach pressure!! Don’t worry, it will get there.
- Once time is up, allow pressure to go into KEEP WARM mode for 10 minutes to allow the pressure to release some naturally. Then press CANCEL on the Instant Pot and twist the steam release handle on the lid to the VENTING position.
- Once steam has released and fully depressurized, open Instant Pot lid to shred the chicken and gently fluff into the rice mixture with a fork. Be sure not to “overmix” chicken and rice mixture. Carefully remove the inner pot to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 424
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 533mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1mg
- Trans Fat: Og
- Carbohydrates: 66g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 34g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
Keywords: instant pot chicken recipes, ip chicken, ip chicken breast recipes
If you tried this recipe or any of our recipes, please leave a comment and rate the recipe. We love hearing from you! You can also tag #loveandzest on social media. To stay up-to-date, FOLLOW US on Instagram @LoveandZest, Pinterest, and Facebook.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products we believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, Love & Zest will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items.
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, millennial mom of two active and hungry boys, which makes me an around the clock milkmaid and cheerio picker upper. Here on Love & Zest, I share (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!