May I apologize? You all have been waiting so patiently to find out what I’ve been up to in the kitchen, well except my best friend and dear mother who just had to know before the reveal.
I posted this teaser on Facebook the other day. Can you guess what the mystery ingredient is??
Let’s say better left a mystery for Eric, he came home as I was mixing these up and he spotted the empty bean can on the counter. He couldn’t get over the black beans and chocolate duo, it’s not like I’m asking him to have kale for breakfast.
So with a recipe like this the best taste testers are co-workers. They are honest and all with diverse palates.
These delicious, moist, chocolate-y brownies pack two secret ingredients: black beans and coffee!
- 1 can black beans, reduced-sodium rinsed and drained
- 1/3 large very ripe banana or 3 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (I actually used 2T in recipe, but it creates a very strong brownie coffee flavor)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, divided.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In bowl or a food processor, mix black beans for 2-3 minutes until really really smooth.
- Blend in bananas and eggs, and then process rest of ingredients, omitting chocolate chips, until incorporated.
- Pulse 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Line square brownie pan with two perpendicular sheets of parchment paper (for easy pan removal and effortless clean up).
- Pour batter evenly in pan, and garnish with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in brownie is appears clean.
recipe adapted from Meal Makeover Moms <— they’re awesome!!
Can you believe that these brownies contain no added fat or flour? Have you used/tasted black beans in dessert before?
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, RD (registered dietitian nutritionist), Peloton addict and mama to two active and hungry boys. On Love & Zest, you’ll find healthy-ish recipes that fuel the whole family. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast, meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!