This Chicken Pasta with Butternut Squash, Caramelized Onions and Tart Cherries is perfect for fueling muscles post workout. The balance of protein, carbs, and anti-inflammatory foods in this recipe is one to keep on hand after a tough sweat session or to fuel up for a race day.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 12 ounces whole grain Fuseli pasta
- ½ red onion, diced
- 12 ounces pre-cooked chicken sausage, sliced
- ½ cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup shredded 3-Cheese Parmesan Blend
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange butternut squash on baking sheet. Drizzle squash with a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in pot of salted water. Rinse and drain cooked pasta with cold water.
- In skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and sauté onions until begins to char and form bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add in chicken sausage and stir with onions to enhance flavor. Stir in tart cherries with apple cider vinegar to deglaze pan and add moisture to cherries.
- Stir in broccoli and continue to cook until broccoli is bright green in color; remove from heat.
- In large bowl, combine pasta with sausage mixture, roasted butternut squash, and a tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top pasta with Parmesan cheese blend.