PBJ Crumble Bars made more wholesome with homemade watermelon chia jam, peanut butter, and whole grain oats for a yummy after school treat or dessert for your next party!
- For Watermelon Chia Jam
- 2 cups small diced watermelon rind
- 1 cup small diced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- For Crumble Bars
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup raw old fashioned oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup natural peanut butter, melted
- 1 cup jam
- To prepare Watermelon Chia Jam
- In medium sized pot over medium low heat, cook watermelon rind and strawberries, stirring occasionally. Cover with lid and cook about an hour until softened and ready to mash.
- Using a pestle or back of a spoon, mash watermelon and strawberries to form a jam-like texture.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, maple syrup and chia seeds. Transfer to storage container and place in fridge at least an hour to thicken.
- To prepare PBJ crumble bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 9×9 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Slice butter into small cubes (about the size of a pea), and crumble into flour mixture with your hands. Stir in egg and vanilla extract to form crumbly dough.
- Firmly press ⅔ dough into bottom of pan to form a layer of crust.
- Gently spread melted peanut butter over crust. Pour jam into pan and carefully spread a layer of jam over the peanut butter. Crumble remaining dough on top of jam.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes until crust is golden. Allow to cool before slicing into 12 bars.
- Serving Size: 1/16 recipe
- Calories: 221
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 112 mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g