This Slow Cooker Carne Asada recipe is so easy to make with an authentic carne aside marinade stuffed into a microwaved sweet potato. Genius!
For Carne Asada Beef
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound sirloin tip steak or flank steak
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup orange juice
For stuffed sweet potatoes:
- 5 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 ripe avocado or guacamole, mashed
- ½ cup mexican blend shredded cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and freshly ground pepper, and press seasonings into both sides of steak to coat.
- In a large cast iron skillet (or on SAUTE mode in the Instant Pot) heat oil over medium heat; add beef to pan to sear for 2-3 minutes on both sides.
- In slow cooker, add seared beef and pour honey, lime, and orange juice over steak. Place lid on slow cooker, and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
- Once meat is cooked through and fork tender, shred meat with forks and incorporate with juices and seasonings in pot.
- Just before serving, pierce sweet potatoes with a fork 5-6 times. Place on a microwave-safe plate and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Once tender, cut potatoes open horizontally and use a fork to smash the flesh of the sweet potato.
- Stuff sweet potatoes with shredded carne asada beef, black beans, tomatoes, onion, avocado, cheese and cilantro.
NOTE: If using Instant Pot Pressure Cooker to cook beef, close lid, seal vent and cook on MEAT/STEW mode at high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/5 recipe (1 stuffed sweet potato)
- Calories: 429 calories
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 307mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
Keywords: carne asada, instant pot, slow cooker, beef, recipe, healthy, sweet potatoes