Not your mama’s nachos but these Slow Cooker Steak Nachos with Spicy Butternut Squash Queso are as flavor filled as it gets! Butternut squash makes the queso creamy with half the cheese to save fat and calories. Oh and the steak is crazy tender, perfectly seasoned and made right in the slow cooker!
- For Steak:
- 1.5 pounds sirloin tip steak
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- salt and pepper
- For Queso:
- 1/2 medium butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 ounces or 1 cup shredded habanaro cheddar cheese
- For Nachos:
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Add all steak ingredients to slow cooker and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours; shred steak once finished cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F; line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place half butternut squash on parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil; bake for 45 minutes.
- Scoop butternut squash out of skin and place in food processor; blend until smooth.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese to squash, and puree until all cheese is melted and blended into butternut squash.
- To make nachos, layer chips with steak, beans, queso, and spinach. Enjoy while hot.
- Note: To make queso dip less spicy, use 2 ounces habanero cheddar cheese and 2 ounces traditional cheddar cheese. This makes a large batch, but I love leftovers so to serve a smaller crowd, simply pre everything, and then half the steak, queso, chips, beans, and spinach for another night.