- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup flour
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 12 ounces okra, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasonings
- 2 cans BUSH’S® Beans New Orleans Style Red Beans™
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat butter over medium low heat and stir in flour to form a roux. Allow roux to slowly change colors over 25-30 minutes, whisk often, and it will darken to the color of chocolate sauce. Be careful not to burn, and adjust heat if necessary.
- Once roux is brown, slowly whisk in vegetable broth until fully incorporated into roux.
- Add bell pepper, celery, onion, okra, garlic, parsley, and tomatoes and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in Creole seasonings and red beans, adjusting seasonings to taste. Serve gumbo in a bowl with a scoop of white rice and top with green onions if desired.
nutrition info does not include rice
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 1049mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
Keywords: French roux, vegetable gumbo, creole