If the name of these pillowy, seasonal breakfast treats does not want to make you jump for joy, then I don’t know what will! Gingerbread. Waffle. French Toast. Sticks.
- For Gingerbread Waffles
- waffle mix to make 3-4 waffles, about 1 cup (**see recipe notes)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- For French Toast Sticks:
- 3-4 cooked waffles, cut lengthwise into sticks
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Follow the package directions to make 3-4 waffles (about 1 cup waffle mix).
- Stir cinnamon, ginger, cloves, vanilla and molasses into the batter.
- Heat a non-stick waffle iron over medium and coat with cooking spray, if needed.
- Ladle the batter onto the waffle iron, and cook until golden brown.
- While waffles are cooking, crack eggs into a shallow dish.
- Add the milk and spices, and whisk until well combined.
- Once waffles are cooked and cooled slightly, slice into sticks, roughly 1 inch thick.
- Place sticks into the egg mixture, and soak both sides for 30 seconds.
- On medium-high heat, melt butter in a cast iron skillet.
- Add the waffle sticks to the skillet, and cook until golden brown on one side.
- Cook each side of the stick before removing from the skillet. Serve with dusting of powdered sugar and maple syrup, if desired.
When using box waffle mix I typically will use milk instead of water and coconut oil when it calls for oil