If the name of these pillowy, seasonal breakfast treats does not want to make you jump for joy, then I don’t know what will! Gingerbread. Waffle. French Toast. Sticks.
Please say it with me y’all! There is nothing better than a gingerbread waffle French toast breakfast to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside during these chilly mornings. Not to mention, ‘tis the season for all things Gingerbread!
Mornings are not easy around here! It is the last month of the year, so that is working against us– or at least that’s my excuse. And, while I am still baking in the sun during the day here in Florida, morning times are calling for something warm and comforting.
Gingerbread Waffle French Toast Sticks are the perfect remedy for those cold mornings where you just don’t want to get up out of bed. And the best part is, they are so easy to throw together!
This recipe is as easy as 1-2-3!
Pick your favorite pancake/waffle mix, follow the directions on the package, and add some seasonal spices, including ginger…duh…and voila! You and the fam will be making gingerbread houses out of the French toast sticks in no time!
Between holiday shopping, a gazzillion festivities that includes bringing your own dish, gift wrapping, and visiting family and friends you have not seen all year, you will be aching for a quick, yet delicious breakfast.
Look no further friends- this tastes like you went to that hometown, family owned diner, and you can whip it up in minutes!
Did I mention how awesome it is to make French toast in the cast iron skillet?
Let me share the deets…a cast-iron skillet is the PERFECT cookware for all things crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside. The skillet wonderfully creates that golden brown exterior, giving an extra flavor punch, while the interior feels like floating on a cloud…a cloud of gingerbread.
So, what are you waiting for??
Make Gingerbread Waffle French Toast Sticks your next go-to breakfast on that cold winter morning, when you want a gourmet breakfast without spending a crazy amount of time in the kitchen!
More Waffle Breakfast Recipes!
Pumpkin Blender Waffles with Pumpkin Cream
- For Gingerbread Waffles
- waffle mix to make 3-4 waffles, about 1 cup (**see recipe notes)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- For French Toast Sticks:
- 3-4 cooked waffles, cut lengthwise into sticks
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Follow the package directions to make 3-4 waffles (about 1 cup waffle mix).
- Stir cinnamon, ginger, cloves, vanilla and molasses into the batter.
- Heat a non-stick waffle iron over medium and coat with cooking spray, if needed.
- Ladle the batter onto the waffle iron, and cook until golden brown.
- While waffles are cooking, crack eggs into a shallow dish.
- Add the milk and spices, and whisk until well combined.
- Once waffles are cooked and cooled slightly, slice into sticks, roughly 1 inch thick.
- Place sticks into the egg mixture, and soak both sides for 30 seconds.
- On medium-high heat, melt butter in a cast iron skillet.
- Add the waffle sticks to the skillet, and cook until golden brown on one side.
- Cook each side of the stick before removing from the skillet. Serve with dusting of powdered sugar and maple syrup, if desired.