- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon ground flax
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup corn
- Bibb lettuce, pickles, red onion
- for spicy mayo sauce[/I]
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Place jalapeño and garlic in food processor (or blender) and pulse until roughly chopped.
- Add 2/3 can of beans to jalapeño mixture and pulse just until blended. (Do not over mix or starches will cause the burgers to become dry).
- Add chili powder, cumin and salt and pulse until incorporated.
- Pour bean mixture into a small bowl. Add flax, tomato sauce, breadcrumbs, corn and remaining black beans. Mix until combined.
- Heat small amount of butter on cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium high heat.
- Form 3 (or 4) black bean patties, and grill burgers for 5-6 minutes on each side, until browned and firm.
- While burgers are cooking, mix together spicy mayo sauce. In small bowl, whisk mayo, lime juice, Sriracha, chili powder, and honey together until blended.
- Serve burgers warm layered in Bibb lettuce, with pickles, red onion and spicy mayo sauce.