Why you might ask? Because the cast iron skillet is perfect for cooking bean burgers on the grill!
Oh and that spicy mayo is so good!! Go ahead and make a double batch if you’re like me and like a little burger with your sauce. OMG. I’ll dip my fries into that sauce too.
Beans are also a rich source of fiber and vegetarian source of protein. These burgers can even be vegan if you sub in a vegan mayo. Serve it up green style with a bunch of Bibb lettuce or carb it up with a whole wheat bun. Do what you like.
Next time you’re cooking out, these Jalapeño Black Bean Burgers will give your veggie friends something to get excited about.
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon ground flax
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup corn
- Bibb lettuce, pickles, red onion
- for spicy mayo sauce[/I]
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Place jalapeño and garlic in food processor (or blender) and pulse until roughly chopped.
- Add 2/3 can of beans to jalapeño mixture and pulse just until blended. (Do not over mix or starches will cause the burgers to become dry).
- Add chili powder, cumin and salt and pulse until incorporated.
- Pour bean mixture into a small bowl. Add flax, tomato sauce, breadcrumbs, corn and remaining black beans. Mix until combined.
- Heat small amount of butter on cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium high heat.
- Form 3 (or 4) black bean patties, and grill burgers for 5-6 minutes on each side, until browned and firm.
- While burgers are cooking, mix together spicy mayo sauce. In small bowl, whisk mayo, lime juice, Sriracha, chili powder, and honey together until blended.
- Serve burgers warm layered in Bibb lettuce, with pickles, red onion and spicy mayo sauce.
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, registered dietitian and millennial mom of two active and hungry boys. Here on Love & Zest, you’ll find (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!