Southern Cornbread Dressing made with hard boiled eggs and Jiffy cornbread mix. Gluten free and vegan stuffing recipe options.
- 3 (8.5oz) boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix (or gluten free/vegan equivalent such as Martha White), or 9 cups crumbled homemade cornbread
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter (or vegan butter)
- 1 bag (14 oz ) herb seasoned classic stuffing (Pepperidge Farm- blue label)
- 8 hard boiled eggs, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 (32oz) boxes chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegan) + additional if needed for moisture
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions or if making homemade ensure 9 cups of crumbled cooked cornbread. Once cooked, set aside; reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In skillet, saute onions, bell pepper and celery in butter or medium heat until butter is melted and veggies are softened.
- In a very large mixing bowl, crumble cornbread. Add sautéed veggies, stuffing mix, hard boiled eggs, and seasonings to bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth to form a wet consistency.
- Coat 9X13 inch casserole dish sheet with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees F for about 60 minutes until golden brown on top.
VEGAN: use flax eggs, dairy free milk, vegan butter and vegetable broth as substitutions
GLUTEN FREE: use gluten free corn muffin mix such as Martha White and gluten free stuffing mix such as Trader Joe’s brand
NUTRITION: note that nutrition information is based on Jiffy corn muffin mix and chicken broth. Gluten free and vegan nutrition information may vary.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 506mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
Keywords: Southern Cornbread Stuffing