Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Waffles. Gluten free and so YUM! Sweet potatoes and chocolate for breakfast? Yes please!
- ½ cup mashed sweet potato
- ¾ cup of plain unsweetened kefir
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups of gluten free all purpose flour (or regular all purpose flour if not gluten free)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Microwave 1 small sweet potato until fork tender. Cut in half, and scoop out the flesh.
- Mash the sweet potato and measure ½ cup; place in a large bowl. Allow to cool slightly.
- Into the bowl of mashed potatoes, add kefir, eggs, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Whisk and combine well.
- Stir in the baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to the wet ingredients, and whisk to combine.
- Next add the flour stirring just until combined.
- Once all ingredients are fully incorporated, fold in the chocolate chips, and mix well, making sure there are chips throughout the batter.
- Turn non stick waffle iron on medium heat (or spray with cooking oil).
- Once waffle maker is full heated, spoon the batter onto the waffle maker, making sure the batter covers the grates fully.
- Waffles are cooked when the waffle maker indicates, or once a golden brown crust has formed and waffles can be easily removed from the waffle maker.
- Serve with maple syrup, butter, or your favorite toppings!