Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Waffles. Gluten free and so YUM! Sweet potatoes and chocolate for breakfast? Yes please!
Today is Parker’s 2nd birthday! Ahhh, how did two years pass by so quickly?! (You can read Parker’s birth story here). And if There’s one thing I know as his mama– he loves breakfast food. So these Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Waffles are in order for the big day.
When the sweet boy wakes up in the morning, he climbs out of his big boy bed, opens his door and shuts the door behind him (this cracks me up– it’s like he’s saying I’m outta there.)
And then he sleepily walks over to his high chair and points and at the same time points at the TV because he wants to watch a show while he enjoys his breakfast. It’s a little ritual he has right now, and it just puts a smile on my face because I know this phase and his sweet little -isms won’t last forever.
They’re always growing and changing and pretty soon he will be a big brother. If anything’s sure to stay I’d guess he may always be a breakfast lover…
I mean who doesn’t love Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Waffles for breakfast?
He’s an eggs and bacon guy too, or just a plain Cheerios and strawberries guy. I don’t make an elaborate breakfast every morning for him, but I think today he’ll get his Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Waffles, with sprinkles and a birthday candle :)
PS– if you love Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Waffles as much as we do, place them in a freezer bag and keep them on hand for a quick reheat and eat.
This little trick makes morning time run smoothy and breakfast lovers happy! Enjoy!
- ½ cup mashed sweet potato
- ¾ cup of plain unsweetened kefir
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups of gluten free all purpose flour (or regular all purpose flour if not gluten free)
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- Microwave 1 small sweet potato until fork tender. Cut in half, and scoop out the flesh.
- Mash the sweet potato and measure ½ cup; place in a large bowl. Allow to cool slightly.
- Into the bowl of mashed potatoes, add kefir, eggs, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Whisk and combine well.
- Stir in the baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to the wet ingredients, and whisk to combine.
- Next add the flour stirring just until combined.
- Once all ingredients are fully incorporated, fold in the chocolate chips, and mix well, making sure there are chips throughout the batter.
- Turn non stick waffle iron on medium heat (or spray with cooking oil).
- Once waffle maker is full heated, spoon the batter onto the waffle maker, making sure the batter covers the grates fully.
- Waffles are cooked when the waffle maker indicates, or once a golden brown crust has formed and waffles can be easily removed from the waffle maker.
- Serve with maple syrup, butter, or your favorite toppings!