Whole Wheat Pancakes made with flaxseed and whole wheat flour and boast of fiber, protein and healthy fats.
We love pancakes around our house. Last night we had breakfast for dinner as I remade this classic recipe that’s been on the site since 2011. What, what.
It was buried so I needed to pull it out of the archives and give it some new life. This was a recipe I’d make after running with Eric, way before we had kids. Oh I miss those sweet running and track days for sure. Here’s a little expert from the original post for the memories…
“Got in a good track workout this morning. Alarm clock went off at 5:15, and I didn’t really think I was going to be running today. I’m kinda sore from the weekend miles, so I was planning to wimp out and do some yoga “for stretching” while Eric ran the track. Well, after the warm up my legs loosened up, and I was able to finish the workout with him. And then he asked for pancakes”…
While I do have a ton of gluten free pancakes recipes on my site but this one here is a classic wholesome recipe, whole wheat flour is nutritious especially for kids so this recipe made with 100% whole wheat flour and flax is a go to. They couldn’t be easier to make and fluff up perfectly in the pan.
Tips for baking with whole wheat flour
I hope you enjoy these Whole Wheat Pancakes as much as we do.Print
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients– whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar.
- In small bowl, whisk egg, oil and milk; Slowly stir milk mixture into the dry ingredients to form a batter. Batter will be a little lumpy. Allow batter to thicken for about 3-5 minutes while griddle or pan preheats.
- Coat griddle with butter and heat over medium. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto griddle; flip pancake just before it gets bubbly and is golden in color. Enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/9 recipe (1 pancake)
- Calories: 109
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 127mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
Keywords: pancakes, whole wheat, flaxseed
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, RD (registered dietitian nutritionist), Peloton addict and mama to two active and hungry boys. On Love & Zest, you’ll find healthy-ish recipes that fuel the whole family. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast, meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!