To all the weeknight dinner lovers out there, these Chicken Fajita Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are for you. Fajita grilled chicken, peppers, and onions smothered between a creamy baked sweet potato goodness. This is what we call healthy comfort food.
Family meals were always a big deal growing up. My parents made eating dinner together at the table a priority. Even with our hectic sports schedules, we didn’t eat out very much when I was young. Looking back, it’s super impressive that they were able to do that consistently.
What I’ve learned over the years is eating in is a choice that requires planning and determination. It’s easy to eat out, and Eric and I are in a phase of life that we choose to eat out for convenience since our schedules are a bit different from day to day. Living in Orlando, we have lots of healthy “quick service” restaurants that makes dining out of the house not only convenient but nutritious too.
With the baby arriving in October, I’m sure this grab and go lifestyle is about to change…for the better. There is nothing like a home cooked meal, so when the Recipe Redux inspired us to all recreate a family meal from our childhood, I thought of these Chicken Fajita Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. While we didn’t make sweet potatoes stuffed with chicken fajitas… we were always eating fajitas and Mexican inspired dishes.
There is nothing like a ooey soft baked sweet potato. The flavor is out of this world and stuffing with chicken fajitas… talk about healthy comfort food. Go try for yourself.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 16 ounces chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Coat sweet potatoes with 1 teaspoon coconut oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wrap sweet potatoes in tin foil. Using a knife, pierce through foil to to poke holes in potatoes.
- Bake potatoes in oven for 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together seasonings.
- Heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil in cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken to skillet and sprinkle with fajita seasonings. Mix together and cook until chicken is browned and fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon coconut oil to pan and add onions an peppers to skillet and sauté until vegetables are softened.
- Once potatoes are cooked, slice potato and stuff with chicken and fajita peppers and fresh tomatoes.