We’re headed to California today!!! Pinch me. Pinch me.
In honor of the trip, I thought I would share with you all some tips on eating healthy while traveling so nobody has to fall off track! Selfishly, I’m writing this post for myself too. With all the trips and travel this fall and I hate the feeling I get from eating unusual airport food, and getting thrown off my meal pattern. Just ick.
I’m doing it different this time. Pinky promise… and details below.
The number one trick to successful healthy travel eating and healthy eating in general:
wait for it…
Here’s my short list of my favorite travel snacks and ways to prep ahead to nip those travel eating woes in the tush:
- Homemade granola bars, trail mix, or energy bites to get some healthy nuts and dried fruits into my diet. OR I love a KIND bars if I’m in a hurry!
- Clementines, apples, bananas, grapes, carrots and celery are all great fresh produce that travels well.
- Bring single serve natural peanut butter and hummus packs to pair fruits/veggies for extra nutrients, flavor, and staying power!
- If you have leftovers of any of these foods, they are great to store in your hotel room and eat during the course of your trip!
- Pack individual oatmeal packets for a quick and easy breakfast that can be prepped right in the hotel room. Love doing this for race mornings!!
- I also like making quinoa & chickpea salad, edamame salad, tuna salad (or just cans of tuna with easy open handle), or chicken salad and packing it in Tupperware with a plastic fork.
- It’s an instant healthy meal while you’re waiting for your flight to board and can safely stay at room temperature for a couple hours.
- Cold pressed juices are convenient ways to get in some fruits and veggies while traveling! Many airports have juice bars or drinks that you can grab and go to feel energized! I’ve been obsessed with Suja Juice lately!
- Don’t forget to hydrate, either! Bring a big water bottle or Nalgene-type bottle with you to fill up at the airport after you go through security. It’ll be nice to have that with you for the rest of your trip too!
- Remember to pack the hand-sani. Ew germs and Ebola.
Question: How do you eat healthy while traveling? Okay, go!
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, RD (registered dietitian nutritionist), Peloton addict and mama to two active and hungry boys. On Love & Zest, you’ll find healthy-ish recipes that fuel the whole family. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast, meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!