You guys if you’re a fan of easy and love cheese, bread and breakfast sausage with a little sweetness on top, this recipe for Christmas Breakfast Strata is for you.
This is an easy overnight breakfast casserole because you literally make everything the night before and on Christmas morning, you stick the casserole dish in the oven and get to smell it baking while opening up presents.
Ahhh the Christmas morning life.
When we were little we would wake up suuupper early to open Christmas presents and then have a yummy breakfast and TBH… not much has changed. I guess we are still kids at heart because we still keep with the tradition except it all goes down just a few hours later since we can now appreciate a full nights sleep. :)
I’m sure all that will change when the babe gets a bit older and can’t wait to go downstairs to see what Santa brought him.
This Christmas Breakfast Strata is all I want to eat on Christmas morning.
I love how the egg soaks into the sourdough bread when it bakes and the savory flavors of the breakfast sausage with all the salty cheese and a punch of cherries on top for sweetness makes this meal so hearty
This easy overnight breakfast casserole has all the things– sweet, savory, comforting, warm… ahhhh! I can eat this casserole any time of day… in fact I have been the last few days. Perks of writing a food blog– you get to eat Christmas food early!!
I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and holiday season!! If you give this Christmas Breakfast Strata a try, please take a pic and tag me on Instagram @KristinaLaRueRD using #loveandzest so I can see your creations!
- 4 cups diced sourdough bread
- 16 ounces fresh breakfast chicken (or pork) sausage
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped rainbow or Swiss chard
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- ½ cup dried tart cherries
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Butter for coating pan
- Preheat oven to 375 and coat 13×9 in casserole dish with butter. Arrange bread in bottom of dish.
- In large skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage. Stir in sage and continue cooking until sausage is browned.
- Add onions and mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Toss in rainbow chard and cook until wilted.
- Stir in parsley and season with freshly ground pepper. Remove from heat and pour over bread in casserole dish. Sprinkle tart cherries evenly on top.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and yogurt. Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage and veggies in casserole dish.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until browned on top and cooked through.
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, millennial mom of two active and hungry boys, which makes me an around the clock milkmaid and cheerio picker upper. Here on Love & Zest, I share (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!