Skillet Shepherds Pie with Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes is a veggie forward and protein packed dinner meal. This recipe is a family favorite comfort food, especially when is extra cold outside.
This was one of the first recipes that I created here on the site… circa Jan 2011. WOW, can you believe that was 7 years ago? But I’ve of course made some delicious and necessary updates that most importantly include busy person weeknight priorities.
I can’t believe back in the day I spent 2+ hours making this recipe. Fast forward to today and I’m all about shortcuts and getting dinner on the table FAST and why I’ve recruited the cast iron skillet because…
1. amazing flavor and
2. less dishes.
Less dishes being the winner here.
This Skillet Shepherds Pie with Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes is a one pot wonder. Sauté meat and veggies in the skillet, dollop with mashed cauliflower potatoes (pre-made or homemade)… add lots of cheese (my preference) and pop the skillet in the oven to bake until golden deliciousness happens.
It’s really easy and is most definitely a family favorite at our house. Like my toddler ate two portions of this meal… and I was over there all pumped because all the veggies (minus bigger pieces of kale) and wholesome iron rich protein got into his belly. #momwin
So here’s a twist on the classic comfort food that’s sure to please…. we can just keep all the veggies our little secret.
This Skillet Shepherds Pie with Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes is on the menu for tonight…. hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
This Shepherd’s Pie with Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes is a delicious and healthy twist on a classic comfort food.
- Beef Layer:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 cups packed shredded kale leaves
- 1/2 cup frozen carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Potato Layer
- 1 pound baby Yukon gold potatoes, steamed in microwave
- 4 cups cauliflower rice (12 oz frozen packet), steamed in microwave
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- In large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté onions, mushrooms and garlic.
- Once onions begin to look translucent, add beef and brown until no longer pink and fully cooked; season with salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.
- Stir in flour to coat meat and cook for a few minutes until it starts to stick to pan; pour in beef broth to deglaze pan. Stir in kale, carrots, peas and corn and cook until veggies are warmed and tender.
- Using electric mixer, place steamed potatoes and cauliflower in bowl with butter and whip until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler, spread layer of mashed cauliflower potatoes over beef mixture; sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 5 minutes or until cheese melts and browns; garnish with fresh chives.
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, registered dietitian and millennial mom of two active and hungry boys. Here on Love & Zest, you’ll find (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!