Italian Wedding Soup with Quinoa
You’re ready for this recipe right? Italian Wedding Soup with Quinoa is packed with nutrition thanks to lots of veggies, lean protein and complex carbs.
This Italian Wedding Soup has a whole box of baby spinach packed inside. Love when delicious recipes are also healthy too, don’t you?
A little back story on this yummy Italian Wedding Soup recipe… We are on a streak. An eating at home streak. Eric and I like the convenience of eating out a few times a week but to be honest it’s frustrating when we do a budget review because it adds up so flipping quickly.
We aren’t giving up our Saturday morning breakfast dates, that’s for sure but just trying to trim back a bit and I’m pleased that it’s working.
I planned our menu this week with a few recipes from Ina Garten’s “Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics”. This Italian Wedding Soup stood out to me because I was in the mood for a lighter summery soup and I wanted to make popovers like my friend Jackie.
These recipes are new to me, and I felt like stepping outside my comfort zone in the kitchen and try something new. It’s adventurous and fun!
How to Meal Prep Italian Wedding Soup
Meatballs have been a staple in our home since I started meal prepping. All types of meatballs, and so yummy that we eat them before I have time to snap an image. One day, I promise. This week’s serving of meatballs are super moist in this Italian Wedding Soup with Quinoa.
I adapted Ina’s recipe to include quinoa for a gluten free whole grain and more common ingredients that I have on hand. This Italian Wedding Soup recipe makes a lot for us so I froze half of the recipe for a later week.
My freezer is starting to fill up with foods that I’ve prepped! Success!Print
Italian Wedding Soup made with quinoa and packed with kale. Perfect for a weeknight or quick lunch.
- FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 3/4 pound ground chicken breast
- 1/2 pound hot italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- FOR THE SOUP
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 12 ounces baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients for meatballs in a bowl and mix together with a fork just until combined.
- Using a cooking scoop or spoon, form meatballs onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. (It makes about 30 meatballs).
- Bake for 30 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery to pan and sauté until softened.
- Add chicken stock and wine to pot and bring to a boil.
- Add quinoa to the boiling broth and cook for about 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Add the fresh dill, meatballs, and spinach to soup and simmer for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 528mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
Keywords: italian wedding soup, quick easy meals, meal prep, meatballs
If you tried this Italian Wedding Soup recipe or any of our recipes, please leave a comment and rate the recipe. We love hearing from you! You can also tag #loveandzest on social media. To stay up-to-date, FOLLOW US on Instagram @LoveandZest, Pinterest, and Facebook.
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, millennial mom of two active and hungry boys, which makes me an around the clock milkmaid and cheerio picker upper. Here on Love & Zest, I share (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!