Your favorite food as a kid just grew up… peas, shallots, wild red shrimp, gruyere and cheddar cheese. Get a bowl of this Shrimp Mac n Cheese ASAP!
Shrimp Mac N Cheese
Happy hump day friends. It’s mid July… but I really can’t believe the summer is almost over. So much so that I’ve started to see some pumpkin recipes floating around the web. I know, I know, for you summer purists, how dare I say the word pumpkin in July.
Hey, I’m just calling it like it is, I haven’t started making anything pumpkin yet, but the glorious fall is just around the corner. I’ve already started talking about how wonderful it will be 🙂
But first we are headed to the beach this weekend for a big family friendly weekend with all the LaRues. I’m looking forward to a little getaway and spending the weekend relaxing with the fam, and all of the new babies.
Last year at the beach 3 of us were preggers and this year we have babies ranging 7-13 months + a 4 year old. This year is going to be so different and probably less relaxing. With 3 babies with different sleep schedules all under one roof… AHHH.
Anyone have any tips for traveling with a 9 month old? It’s only a two hour drive but I want to made the house as comfy as possible. We really haven’t traveled much with him, since he was a baby baby.
So yeah, this should be fun! Time to start packing.Print
Your favorite food as a kid just grew up… peas, shallots, wild red shrimp, gruyere and cheddar cheese. get a bowl of this Shrimp Mac n Cheese ASAP!
- 16 ounces pasta noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 16 ounces shrimp (I love Argentinian Red Shrimp from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- shaved parmesan cheese, for topping if desired
- In large pot of salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse and drain pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add shallots and cook until begins to brown slightly.
- Stir in shrimp and fresh peas and cook until shrimp are cooked and heated through. Remove shrimp and peas from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, melt butter and whisk in flour to make thick paste. Whisk in milk slowly to incorporate flour and butter and form sauce. Bring milk to a boil and allow to simmer a few minutes to thicken.
- Stir in cheese and continue to cook until sauce is slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour pasta, shrimp and peas into the cheese sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately with shredded parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Serving Size: 1/4th recipe
- Calories: 870
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 429mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 107g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 52g
- Cholesterol: 213mg
Keywords: shrimp mac n cheese
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, registered dietitian and millennial mom of two active and hungry boys. Here on Love & Zest, you’ll find (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!