I love the nutty and chewy texture of steel cut oats, just not how long it takes to cook. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have 30 minutes to stand in the kitchen stirring my oats in the morning.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups vanilla almond milk
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 tablespoons almond butter
- 4 teaspoons chia seeds,
- 4 teaspoons golden flax seeds
- 4 teaspoons sliced almonds
- 2 cups fresh sliced cherries
- Coat slow cooker with cooking spray or butter.
- Place oats, almond milk, water, and almond extract in slow cooker, cover, and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Spoon warm oatmeal into 4 mason jars or bowls. Top with a spoonful of almond butter, chia seeds, golden flax seeds, sliced almonds, and sliced cherries.
- WARNING: Please don’t forget to coat the slow cooker with cooking spray! I’ve forgotten this little move one too many times and I’ve ended up with a sticky mess in the morning!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 15
- Sodium: 80
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 37
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 8
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, registered dietitian and millennial mom of two active and hungry boys. Here on Love & Zest, you’ll find (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!