This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of BUSH’S® Beans. All opinions are 100% mine.
Chicken Fajita Casserole is an easy weeknight recipe with all the fajita veggies, BUSH’S Black Bean Fiesta™, sour cream and cheese loaded on top of chicken breasts and baked in a cast iron skillet. So much yum.
Chicken Fajita Casserole
This little dish right here makes a hungry hubby happy, just sayin.
We could eat tacos, fajitas, nachos, burrito bowls and all the yummy tex mex things every single night… and sometimes we do. We love it and just can’t get tired of the flavors.
Chicken Fajita Casserole is a new recipe on the rotation because it’s so good it tastes like you’re eating out at a Mexican restaurant. It’s real comfort food.
I love making family meals that the kids actually eat and Eric looks forward to when he comes home from work.
Reality check: it doesn’t happen every night at our house, but when I make the effort to get dinner on the table for a family meal, I’m always turning to those tried and true recipes like veggie packed spaghetti and anything tex mex.
In fact, I think my child might turn into a “dia” aka quesadilla or “chippie” as he calls tortilla chips.
Chicken Fajita Casserole ingredients are always on hand at our house. Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
Chicken Breast Cutlets
Mexican Cheese Blend
Do you need a cast iron skillet to make this recipe?
I love using my large cast iron skillet for this recipe because it conveniently goes from stovetop to oven with no extra dishes.
But if you don’t have an oven proof saute pan, simply saute up your fajita veggies first and then bake the rest in a casserole dish. It still cooks and tastes the same 🙂
What are chicken cutlets?
And if you want to get dinner on the table fast, be sure to use chicken breast cutlets. What is a chicken cutlet? A chicken cutlet is simply a chicken breast that has been sliced in half and then pounded to an even thickness.
They sell cutlets pre-packaged at most grocery stores, but you can cut them yourself and save some money, too. If you use regular chicken thick breasts this recipe might require double the cooking time!
Chicken Fajita Casserole is an easy weeknight recipe with all the fajita veggies, black beans, sour cream and cheese loaded on top of chicken breasts and baked in a cast iron skillet. So much yum.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 3 bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning packet
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast cutlets
- 1 can BUSH’S Black Bean Fiesta™
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese blend
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté onions and peppers for a few minutes before adding garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant and remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together sour cream, lime juice, and 1 tablespoon fajita seasonings. Set aside.
- Move peppers to side of skillet and arrange chicken in one even layer into the skillet. Using a spoon, spread sour cream mixture over the chicken. And top each piece of chicken with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Pour BUSH’S Black Bean Fiesta™ over chicken and arrange some of the peppers on top. Top casserole with remaining cheese; bake for 25 minutes until chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and top casserole with cilantro. Serve fajita chicken casserole with rice, cauliflower rice, chips or stuffed into warm tortillas.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
- Calories: 289 calories
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 630mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
Keywords: chicken, fajita, casserole, weeknight, recipe, healthy, protein
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, RD (registered dietitian nutritionist), Peloton addict and mama to two active and hungry boys. On Love & Zest, you’ll find healthy-ish recipes that fuel the whole family. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast, meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!