Eric and I have been doing super good with our budget! I know we are only two weeks in, but seriously we usually would have blown it by now in the eating out category. We’ve averaged $30 bucks per week eating out (and you should know we put coffee in this category)!
I’m kinda reluctant to share that we’ve been on it, because I don’t want us to fall off this wagon of eating in during the week. We’ve really surprised ourselves that we’re not tempted to dine out for some reason. I went to the grocery store to get “easy” stuff for lunch– i.e. soup, bars, and snacks and we’ve been eating leftovers too. Another hurdle we addressed was to not set ourselves up to fail by menu planning elaborate and challenging meals during the week. This has really helped and quesadillas have been a weekly staple, and so has this chicken fried rice bowl!
Chinese food is a go to for us, but of course you never really feel all that great after eating it out because they don’t ever add enough veg! We’ve tried to make Chinese food at home for a while, and with much trial and error we finally got the flavors down, and we actually prefer this over eating it out!
I don’t know about you but I’m all about the sauces, and the sweet chili sauce gives this dish a nice kick and sweetness. To make this meal even more weeknight friendly, have your chicken pre shredded and use frozen and pre chopped vegetables as much as possible.Print
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 2 cups precooked jasmine rice
- 1 cup precooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups steamed broccoli
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- FOR SWEET CHILI SAUCE
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Prep all ingredients before beginning to cook as fried rice cooks fast.
- Heat oil in wok over medium high heat.
- Scramble egg until begins to cook through.
- Add onion, red pepper, and garlic and sauté until onion becomes translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and spices to wok and scrape sides of wok to pick up any remaining bits from pan.
- Toss in mushrooms and carrots and sauté until they begin to become tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in peas, green onion, rice, and chicken until incorporated and cook until rice is heated through.
- Gently stir in broccoli and bean sprouts.
- Serve immediately with drizzle of sweet chili sauce.
- For SWEET CHILI SAUCE, whisk all ingredients together in small bowl until combined and smooth.
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, registered dietitian and millennial mom of two active and hungry boys. Here on Love & Zest, you’ll find (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!