I’ve never made stuffed shells before last weekend. Stuffing shells requires more love and patience than I realized and it brought back a deeper love and enjoyment of cooking. Most of my recipes are really simple. I often don’t feel as if I have the time to prepare something elaborate.
But stuffing shells required me to slow down and just cook. Gently boiling the noodles, forming the stuffing, stuffing them individually, nestling them in their little bed of sauce, and watching them line up one by one.
It made me realize how I need to continue to challenge myself with new recipes, to continue to grow and learn new skills, to take time for myself, and to savor the process.
I promised you I would have a recipe for you to use the kale pesto today, so here you go! These Chicken Pesto Stuffed Shells were a crowed pleaser at our dinner party.
- 20 jumbo pasta shells
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup 2% low-sodium cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup part skim shredded mozzarella, divided
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. Spread marinara sauce evenly in bottom of 9X13 inch baking dish. In medium bowl, mix cottage cheese, yogurt, egg, 3/4 cup mozzarella and pesto together until combined. Stir in chicken breast. Stuff each shell with spoonful of chicken pesto mixture and lay in marinara sauce. Tightly cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Allow shells to stand for 5 minutes before serving. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Nutrition Facts per serving (4 shells): 400 calories, 14g fat, 5g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 8g sugar, 30g protein
- Serving Size: 4 shells
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 610mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 30g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, RD (registered dietitian nutritionist), Peloton addict and mama to two active and hungry boys. On Love & Zest, you’ll find healthy-ish recipes that fuel the whole family. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast, meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!