|The FIRST Training Plan|
|The FIRST marathon program includes three running workouts per week—a speed workout, a tempo run, and a long run. Here’s the full, 16-week marathon training program. Participants are also encouraged to cross-train for 40 to 45 minutes on two other days per week.|
|1||8×400 meters||3 miles||10 miles|
|2||4x1200m||5 miles||12 miles|
|3||6x800m||7 miles||13 miles|
|4||3x1600m||3 miles||10 miles|
|5||10x400m||5 miles||14 miles|
|6||5x1200m||5 miles||15 miles|
|7||7x800m||8 miles||17 miles|
|8||3x1600m||10 miles||13 miles|
|9||12x400m||3 miles||18 miles|
|10||8x800m||5 miles||15 miles|
|11||4x1600m||8 miles||20 miles|
|12||12x400m||5 miles||15 miles|
|13||6x1200m||5 miles||20 miles|
|14||7x800m||4 miles||15 miles|
|15||3x1600m||8 miles||10 miles|
|16||30 min easy w 5x60s||20 min easy w 3 or 4 pickups||Marathon|
|The FIRST Paces|
|The training paces recommended by the FIRST program are somewhat faster than those recommended by other training plans. Of course, with just three running days a week, you should be well rested for each workout. Here are the paces you’ll need to run, each expressed relative to your current 10-K race pace.|
|Long Run||10-K pace + 60 to 75 seconds/mile|
|Long Tempo||10-K + 30 to 35 seconds|
|Mid Tempo||10-K + 15 to 20 seconds|
|Short Tempo||10-K pace|
|1600m Repeats||10-K – 35 to 40 seconds|
|1200m Repeats||10-K – 40 to 45 seconds|
|800m Repeats||10-K – 45 to 50 seconds|
|400m Repeats||10-K – 55 to 60 seconds|
- 2 tablespoons quinoa
- 1 cup dark chocolate baking chips
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place wax paper on rimmed baking sheet. In small pan, toast quinoa over medium heat until it begins to pop, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place chocolate in medium-size microwave save bowl and melt chocolate in microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir in coffee and vanilla and continue to stir until smooth.
- If needed place chocolate back in microwave for 10-15 seconds to melt thoroughly. When chocolate is smooth, stir in quinoa.
- Pour chocolate onto baking sheet lined with wax paper and spread until smooth on top.
- Allow to dry until chocolate hardens. Break chocolate into even pieces. Store in air tight container.
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, RD (registered dietitian nutritionist), Peloton addict and mama to two active and hungry boys. On Love & Zest, you’ll find healthy-ish recipes that fuel the whole family. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast, meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!