Anytime I’m brainstorming a new recipe, I call my mom. She is an awesome cook and filled with creative ideas.
- 14 ounces whole grain elbow macaroni
- 4 slices center-cut bacon
- 1 tablespoons Cabot Unsalted Butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Whole-Wheat Pastry Flour
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup 100% pure canned pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 6 ounces Cabot Alpine Cheddar, shredded and divided
- 6 ounces Cabot White Oak Cheddar, shredded and divided
- 1/2 cup Cabot Plain Greek-Style Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 13 X 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni to al dente according to package directions. Rinse and drain.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and arrange bacon. Cook bacon for 10 minutes and blot dry. Crumble and set aside.
- In large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and slowly add milk until mixture is smooth and ingredients incorporated.
- Stir in canned pumpkin and continue to whisk until mixture is thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat and stir in spices, cheese (reserve 1/2 cup for topping), and yogurt whisking quickly to mix together until cheese is melted.
- Pour macaroni into prepared baking dish and coat evenly with pumpkin cheese sauce. Top with remaining cheese and bacon.
- Bake for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 281
- Sodium: 273mg
- Fat: 12.5g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, registered dietitian and millennial mom of two active and hungry boys. Here on Love & Zest, you’ll find (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!