This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of BUSH’S® Beans. All opinions are 100% mine.
Easy pinwheel recipe for kids = Rainbow Veggie Pinwheels. A veggie loaded kid–friendly lunch box recipe made with white bean hummus featuring BUSH’S Southern Style White Beans™.
Rainbow Veggie Pinwheels
It’s back to school for us! We are doing 4 day 4s this year and Parker will be staying for “lunch bunch” several days which means, mama has to pack kid lunch boxes. My best mom self likes to plan out lunches for the boys so that they have variety, I mean it happens every so often but when it does, I make things like Rainbow Veggie Pinwheels.I’m loving this recipe because it’s simple enough to meal prep or make in the morning before sending them off to school. My boys love PBJ but making pinwheels mixes it up and helps with exposing them to new tastes and textures in a fun, kid-friendly way.
Every kid loves rainbow colors!
I have one kiddo that loves dip and the other one shies away from sauce, so things like hummus haven‘t been easy to expose him to. One trick is to spread a thin layer on a sandwich or wrap. And he gets the benefits of beans too. Woot woot.
Beans help kids get important nutrients needed for growth like protein, fiber, iron and calcium. All the more reason to make white bean hummus for these rainbow veggie pinwheels.
Spread a thin layer of hummus on the wrap (it helps the veggies stick and seals the roll ups too) and serve extra hummus on the side for pinwheel dipping fun.
How to make a pinwheel for kids’ lunchboxes?
- Choose your wrap: Making yummy pinwheels starts with a good wrap. There are so many nutritious wraps on the market, so take your pick! I like to use the rectangular shaped wraps because they roll up evenly and they are nice and sturdy for making pinwheels.
- Pick your spread: You’ve gotta try our White Bean Hummus recipe made with BUSH’S Southern Style White Beans™.
- Layer in the toppings: When making pinwheels, it’s important to not stack toppings too thick…especially with pinwheels for kids. A thin layer is easier to roll up too. We used rainbow veggies to make it fun for kids and the white bean hummus is an excellent protein source! But turkey, chicken and ham also work great in pinwheels, just place one slice it on top of your hummus spread.
- Roll it up and slice! Carefully roll wraps to make pinwheels and slice with a serrated knife!
How to make oil free white bean hummus?
It’s easy to pick up a store-bought spread, but this White Bean Hummus recipe that we created with a can of BUSH’S Southern Style White Beans™ is next level good, oil-free and EASY too.
Because BUSH’S® Beans have locked in flavor we only had to use 3 ingredients for our hummus. This oil free hummus recipe is made with BUSH’S Southern Style White Beans™, tahini, and lemon juice! That’s it.
Blend it in a food processor or blender to make your hummus smooth and creamy!
If you tried this recipe,or any of our other recipes, please leave a comment and rate the recipe. We love hearing from you! You can also tag #loveandzest on social media. To stay up-to-date, FOLLOW US on Instagram @LoveandZest, Pinterest, and Facebook.
Easy pinwheel recipe for kids = Rainbow Veggie Pinwheels. A veggie loaded kid friendly lunch box recipe made with white bean hummus that encourages them to eat the rainbow.
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 whole lemon)
- 1 can BUSH’S Southern Style White Beans™
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 large carrot, julienned
- 1/2 small yellow squash, julienned
- 1/2 long English cucumber, julienned
- 1/4 cup thinly shredded purple cabbage
- 4 wheat tortilla or spinach wraps
- In bowl of food processor, add tahini and lemon juice and blend until smooth. Pulse in Southern Style White Beans beans and stream in olive oil until hummus is very creamy.
- Thinly slice all veggies using a microplane or boxed grater if you have one to get the veggies very thin so they roll up nicely for kiddos.
- Spread hummus on wrap and layer in a rainbow of veggies side by side in the middle of the wrap in ROY-G-BIV fashion. Red bell pepper, carrots, yellow squash, cucumber and/or spinach, and purple cabbage.
- Roll wraps up tightly and slice with a serrated knife into rainbow pinwheels.
- Option— for turkey pinwheels or ham pinwheels, add one or two thin turkey or ham slices on top of hummus before adding veggies. BUSH’S® Beans
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: veggie pinwheels, how to make pinwheels for kids, healthy lunch, rainbow pinwheels
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, registered dietitian and millennial mom of two active and hungry boys. Here on Love & Zest, you’ll find (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!