This easy Coconut Chicken recipe is baked with coconut oil and crusted with coconut flakes. Easy weeknight meal prep for the win!
Baked Coconut Chicken
I’ve been really into meal prep lately. This is a new pattern for me. I’ve always resisted meal prep because I like my food FRESH. I’m not about to grill up some salmon and eat it midweek… just not my style, or so I thought.
So I think I’ve found what works for me…
I was noticing that I would purchase spaghetti squash, onions, mushrooms, pineapple, or whatever seasonal fruit that looks good, with the best of intentions to eat it. At the end of the week it would still be in my fridge or I’d only get through half of the produce before it spoiled.
At the end of the day, the last thing I want to do is spend an hour chopping, cooking, and cleaning (and I LOVE these things), but I need ENERGY to do them.
Here lately, I’ve prioritized 1-2 hours on Sunday to chop veggies and get a few “meals prepped”. These meals are mostly prepped and ready to bake, so that we can eat it fresh not reheated.
Here’s my weekly to-do:
chopping onions, mushrooms, peppers and storing in individual containers
washing and cutting fruit for ready to eat convenience
making rice, pasta or cooking spaghetti squash
assemble meals & prepping meats— goal of prepping 2-3 meals
How to cook chicken with coconut oil in the oven?
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat your baking dish with coconut oil.
- Add chicken breast to dish and spread coconut oil on top of chicken and season.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes depending on thickness, until cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
How to meal prep baked coconut chicken:
This Baked Coconut Chicken has been a mainstay. It’s super super tasty and weeknight friendly. It can also be prepped in advance— I assemble the chicken and store it in Pyrex baking dish with lid <— these little guys save my life.
‘Then all I have to do is pop it in the oven. I served this with whole grain veggie couscous (takes 5 min to make). Couscous is fast.
Do you do meal prep?? What are you are your go-to weeknight meals or strategies with meal prep?
More easy baked chicken recipes
Make this recipe ahead of time in minutes to prep for the week! Serve with veggies and side of couscous. Perfect and FAST #weeknight dinner!
- 2– 8 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Coat 9X13 inch baking dish with 1 teaspoon coconut oil.
- Divide each 8 ounce breast to half with sharp knife to reduce thickness and ensure even cooking.
- Place the four chicken beasts in prepared baking dish and top each with remaining ingredients to season.
- Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 78mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
Keywords: Baked Coconut Chicken
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, registered dietitian and millennial mom of two active and hungry boys. Here on Love & Zest, you’ll find (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!