This post is sponsored by the National Turkey Federation.
There’s a chill in the air…well, more like a cool breeze here in Florida…but ‘tis the season for everything comforting and warm.
It’s that curl up on the sofa, big pants and comfy sweater weather… well a Florida girl can dream, right? And this creamy dreamy Turkey Wild Rice Soup has all the Fall feels.
Turkey Wild Rice Soup is sure to hit every feel-good bone in your body! The flavors are rich and earthy, and the rice just gives it that full-bodied, hearty texture that is sure to fill your tummy up with comfort and warmth.
Not to mention the tender, shredded, turkey that will remind you of that beautiful roasted turkey that is straight out of the oven on Thanksgiving…but without all of the time and mess!
Turkey Wild Rice Soup is a one-pot wonder, with very little prep and clean up! It is as easy as 1-2-3! Chop up those veggies, cook the turkey and rice in the pot with the broth, cover, and BOOM.
This homemade Turkey Wild Rice Soup soup is sure to please the whole family, and it can be made gluten free.
Speaking of nutritional benefits…turkey is a great lean protein source, rich in B vitamins and choline. I used turkey breast cutlets in this soup recipe because they are easy to find, absorb so much flavor, and shred well into the soup.
I may be biased, but I must say that this recipe is the bomb dot com and shows off the incredible flavors and textures that turkey has to offer.
Grab a bowl and dig into this rich, flavorful hearty Turkey Wild Rice Soup!Print
- ½ tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup wild rice blend, uncooked
- 1 pound raw turkey breast cutlets
- Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ cup water
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a large pot/saucepan.
- Add garlic and onion and cook until aromatic and translucent.
- Add carrots and mushrooms and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the bay leaves, broth, and uncooked rice.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Season turkey with pepper and salt, and add to the soup. Replace cover and let simmer for one hour, or until turkey and rice are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and pick out bay leaves.
- Once safe to handle, remove turkey, shred, and stir back into soup.
- Add half and half and water. Stir well, and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, RD (registered dietitian nutritionist), Peloton addict and mama to two active and hungry boys. On Love & Zest, you’ll find healthy-ish recipes that fuel the whole family. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast, meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!