I didn’t realize how much of a kale-aholic I was until I started writing this post and looking though all the recipes that have kale listed as an ingredient. I know, some of you are probably like WTH is kale? I boast of kale’s goodness almost daily. Aside from it being a down right fun food to eat… it’s a superfood in my book and here’s why.
Check out these stats:
- More vitamin C than an orange! 134% of your daily value in 1 cup! (yes that deserves lots of exclamation points!)
- Eye-mazing Kale. With a whopping 206% vitamin A in one cup along with lutein and zeaxanthin, kale contains nutrients needed for vision.
- Only 33 calories per cup raw kale!
- Kale boasts of 684% vitamin K, which is a powerful antioxidant that plays a role in maintaining healthy blood clotting, bone health, and more.
Top 8 ways to use kale:
1. Smoothies. My answer for ways to eat almost anything, ask my athletes I’m just like toss it into a smoothie! No but for real, this really might be my favorite way to eat kale. I love the BRIGHT green color it gives to a smoothie, and I swear it doesn’t make it taste weird. If you haven’t tried a green smoothie, give kale a whirl in these recipes.
- Green Energy Bowl by Love & Zest
- Green Monster Juice by Love & Zest
- Stripped Green Juice by Nutrition Stripped
2. Burgers. Top burgers with kale slaw, layer it like lettuce, or slice it up thin and add it to a juicy burger like I did in these Cranberry & Kale Turkey Burgers. I’m in.
- Cranberry & Kale Turkey Burgers by Love & Zest
- Turkey Burgers with Creamy Kale Slaw by Marin Mama Cooks (AKA the queen of kale!)
3. Soup. Because kale keeps some texture when heated it provides a good body to soup that is really satisfying.
- Drunken Potato & Kale Soup by Love & Zest
- Spicy Sausage & Lentil Kale Soup by The Lean Green Bean
- Cheesy Broccoli & Greens Soup by Teaspoon of Spice
- Tofu, Kale & Shiitake Mushroom Rame Noodle Soup by The Little Kitchen