This post is sponsored by al fresco.
Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches that are healthy, loaded with veggies, and make an easy breakfast meal prep! Chicken breakfast sausage, cheddar cheese, english muffins and all the veggies in a baked egg casserole.
These healthy freezer breakfast sandwiches are an easy breakfast meal prep for your busy weekday mornings! Make ahead breakfast sandwiches on the daily– woot woot.
Are you bored with your breakfast routine? Or do you not eat breakfast before work because you’re in a hurry to get yourself ready and get the kids out the door on time? Ummm– that second story is my husband 100% and I fall somewhere in the middle.
But lemme tell you, these make ahead breakfast sandwiches are having a moment… and for good reason!
Breakfast meal prep can be such a time saver – and a healthy one at that! You’ve gotta try them ASAP.
Are freezer breakfast sandwiches healthy?
Some breakfast sandwiches get a bad rep these days but I’m here to let you know that breakfast sandwiches CAN be made healthy!
Our homemade breakfast sandwiches are packed with nutrition— hello, 30 grams of protein per sandwich! And at 450 calories your breakfast meal prep is balanced with all the good stuff: veggies, protein, carbs, fats and fiber!
I’m convinced these healthy breakfast sandwiches are in fact way more tasty than fast food like McDonalds or Starbucks breakfast sandwiches. Try for yourself!
All you need are these ingredients…
- al fresco Chicken Sausage Breakfast Patties
One of the reasons I chose al fresco chicken breakfast sausage in these healthy freezer breakfast sandwiches is not only do they up the flavor profile and provide a satisfying 8g of protein per patty, they’re also 70% less fat and 40% less sodium than pork sausage.
I don’t know about you, but I want the most important meal of the day to fuel me, and not leave me feeling sluggish. al fresco breakfast sausage is lean, made with skinless chicken meat, has a simple ingredient list and gluten free.
How to make healthy freezer breakfast sandwiches?
Well, let me show you. First off, start out with a rimmed baking sheet and some parchment paper. I’m a big believer in parchment paper because, hello, who wants to clean up egg stuck on a pan for 20 minutes? (speaking from experience here).
Roast the veggies (you can sub in your favorite veggies into this sheet pan egg bake). I can never get enough mushrooms so I like mushrooms, spinach and onions in my egg bake but feel free to do zucchini, kale, and sweet peppers if that’s more your style.
The possibilities are endless.
But roast up the veggies first to help them to wilt down and develop more flavor.
Then pour in the whipped eggs right over the veggies. Make sure to really beat the eggs before pouring into the sheet pan; bake.
After the eggs have finished baking, it’s time to slice them into squares and assemble the healthy freezer breakfast sandwiches.
- English muffin top
- baked eggs
- al fresco breakfast sausage patty
- English muffin bottom
Close the sandwich and wrap in plastic wrap
then in aluminum foil, name and date
and place in a freezer safe bag.
Can you freeze homemade breakfast sandwiches?
This step is easy peasy, friends! Wrap each sandwich in a little plastic wrap, then foil, label with the date and place sandwiches in gallon ziplock bag to keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
The airtight container is essential to keeping your freezer breakfast sandwiches fresh and avoiding freezer burn. Another option for freezer storage are Leakproof Glass Storage Containers – a kitchen equipment staple in our home that makes meal prep life so easy!
How do you reheat a frozen breakfast sandwich?
First before you reheat, I highly recommend defrosting first. You can defrost the breakfast sandwich by placing in the fridge overnight, or on your microwave’s defrost setting for about a minute.
When reheating a frozen breakfast sandwich, you have a couple of options…
- Reheat on a microwave safe plate for 1- 1.5 minutes.
- Reheat in toaster oven with breakfast sandwich wrapped in foil (be sure to remove the plastic wrap!!)
- Reheat in oven on 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes
The beauty of this breakfast meal prep recipe is that reheating is so simple and takes almost no time. My personal fav method for reheating is in the microwave! I actually enjoy a softer English muffin on a breakfast sandwich– so yummy with melted cheese.
And if you prefer a little crispier bread, opt for the oven reheat method.
How to make this breakfast meal prep low carb and gluten free?
Want a low carb option for these make ahead breakfast sandwiches? No problem, I’ve got you covered!
Go muffin free, and serve breakfast casserole style topped with a little avocado for a low carb breakfast! And if you have special dietary restrictions such as gluten free, simply go for gluten free bread or muffin. al fresco breakfast sausage is gluten free too so it’s a great option for special diets too.
As a mom of two little ones, I understand the morning hustle is so real! I’m constantly on the hunt for ways to streamline our morning routine and breakfast meal prep ideas have been a huge game changer in our home.
Don’t underestimate the power of make ahead breakfast recipes. Your schedule and your family will thank you 🙂
Other Breakfast Meal Prep Ideas:
- Ham Spinach Egg Cups
- How To Meal Prep for the Week
- 15 Healthy Breakfast Recipes with Eggs
- Sheet Pan Breakfast Bowls
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches that are healthy and make an easy breakfast meal prep! Chicken breakfast sausage, cheddar cheese, english muffins and all the veggies in a baked egg casserole.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 14 eggs
- 3 – 7 oz packages al fresco chicken sausage breakfast patties (12 patties total)
- 12 slices of cheese
- 12 english muffins
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F’ line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drizzle oil on baking sheet, arrange veggies on pan and toss to coat in oil; season with salt, pepper and italian seasonings. Bake for 10 minutes.
- When veggies have finished roasting, remove sheet pan from oven; gently stir vegetables and then spread out again on baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs; beat well. Pour eggs over veggies in sheet pan; bake in oven for 10-12 minutes, until eggs are fully cooked. Remove baked eggs from oven and cut into 12 even squares.
- Assemble breakfast sandwiches by stacking baked eggs, cheese, and chicken sausage on english muffins.
- Prep muffins for freezer by wrapping each breakfast sandwich individually in plastic wrap, then in aluminum foil, date and label, and then place in freezer safe gallon bag.
- Before reheating, defrost the breakfast sandwich by placing in the fridge overnight or in microwave on defrost setting for 1 minute. Then heat muffin on high power in the microwave for 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds, cooking until eggs and sausage are headed through.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Sheet Pan
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 sandwiches (1/12 recipe)
- Calories: 450
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 838mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 30g
- Cholesterol: 285mg
Keywords: freezer breakfast sandwiches
If you tried this recipe for healthy freezer breakfast sandwiches or any of our recipes, please leave a comment and rate the recipe. We love hearing from you! You can also tag #loveandzest on social media. To stay up-to-date, FOLLOW US on Instagram @LoveandZest, Pinterest, and Facebook.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products we believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, Love & Zest will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items.
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, RD (registered dietitian nutritionist), Peloton addict and mama to two active and hungry boys. On Love & Zest, you’ll find healthy-ish recipes that fuel the whole family. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast, meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!