Calling all health junkies, these pancakes are for you! Not your mama’s Saturday morning pancakes, these Health Nut Blueberry Pancakes are made with buckwheat flour, kefir and wild blueberries, and are sure to please even the pickiest palate. Gluten free.
These Health Nut Blueberry Pancakes tho. They are so soft and so clean clean, a health freaks dream breakfast.
I’m all about the kefir in these cakes because it keeps the pancakes moist and packs a protein punch. Buckwheat flour is gluten free and provides a good little fiber boost. But what I love most about buckwheat flour is the gorgeous brown glow it gives to these pancakes– making them all health nutty and stuff.
Pile these cakes high with wild blueberries, and almond butter, and almonds and maple syrup if you wish! Love that maple flavor… oh and don’t forget the coffee. Who could forget the coffee?? That’s the first order of business in the AM.
It’s the weekend so get yo’ pancake on! Serve up a stack of these Health Nut Blueberry Pancakes for that Saturday morning breakfast. Enjoy!
Calling all health junkies, these pancakes are for you! Not your mama’s Saturday morning pancakes, these Health Nut Blueberry Pancakes are made with buckwheat flour, kefir and wild blueberries, and are sure to please even the pickiest palate.
- 1 ¼ cups buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups plain 1% kefir
- 1 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- optional toppings– almond butter, almonds, wild blueberries, maple syrup
- In a large bowl, whisk together buckwheat flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, maple syrup, kefir, coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
- Fold wet ingredients into the dry and stir until combined.
- Lightly coat griddle with butter and heat over medium.
- Ladle 1/4 cup pancake batter onto griddle, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons blueberries. Spoon a little more batter onto pancake to cover blueberries.
- Cook until it bubbles on one side and flip.
- Cook until browned on other side.
- Repeat steps 4-7 to make remaining pancakes.
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 177
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 327mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, registered dietitian and millennial mom of two active and hungry boys. Here on Love & Zest, you’ll find (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!