Do you want more protein, less carbs and loads of veggies in your diet? Look no further than meal prepping this Vegetarian Roasted Eggplant Lasagna! It’s a dinner time favorite and totally crave worthy.
I’m so into roasting up veggies… because of the flavor bomb it delivers.
Literally. Roasted veg makes me happy.
Oh and you know what else makes me happy? My son [who will be two in less than a week… excuse me while I go in the corner to cry] gobbling up a plate of this for dinner. Protein and veggies are sometimes tough to get in a toddler, but BUT casseroles like Vegetarian Roasted Eggplant Lasagna makes toddlers (and mamas) happy at dinner time.
This is an oldie recipe from my blog archives that I remade (and revamped) for the fam jam last night. In the process I decided to update the photos and reshare it with you today because it literally posted in year one of my blog way back in the fall of 2011 when only my dear mother saw it.
AND because we could probably all use a little more protein and veggies in our lives.
Can you relate?
The roasting of the veggies is an essential step because remember, flavor bomb? BUT also essential because it helps to “dry out” the veg so you can pack more into this dish without it becoming a watery lasagna mess. No one wants watery lasagna so pretty please up your veg first.
Trust me on the roasted veggie thing. You’ll be so pumped that you’re eating all the veg for dinner and getting your protein too >>> this recipe is a win for both vegetarians and protein lovers (…and mamas and toddlers).
Hope you enjoy this Vegetarian Roasted Eggplant Lasagna as much as we do!
- 1 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 8 ounce container baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 (24 ounce) jar roasted garlic tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Line two baking sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Arrange eggplant, kale and mushrooms on pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 25 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting; in a small bowl, mix together cottage cheese, eggs and ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Once vegetables are finished roasting, line casserole dish with tomato sauce and and a layer of eggplant topped with kale and mushrooms.
- Then, alternate layers of eggplant and vegetables, cottage cheese mixture, mozzarella and tomato sauce until all ingredients are used; ending with layer of mozzarella and parmesan on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes; let stand for 15 minutes prior to serving.