This recipe post for Vegetarian Tortilla Casserole is sponsored by NFRA.
Vegetarian Tortilla Casserole
Need to get a healthy dinner on the table fast? Prep this casserole in the morning (or night before) to have it ready to go for a quick weeknight dinner.
You guys… my life is crazy. Like real crazy. Like I often struggle to put dinner on the table crazy. Can you relate? In fact, in 2017, I’m trying to manage the cray cray with a bit more style and grace. But to be transparent: with only a couple of days into the new year we have already eaten dinner out…twice, errrr three times?—but who’s counting? Enter Vegetarian Tortilla Casserole.
And you know what’s even crazier… we pretty much we eat Mexican food ALL THE TIME. So today I had this Vegetarian Tortilla Casserole for lunch with some steamed kale and for dinner I ate chicken tortilla soup. What can I say…we love us some tortillas. Chips and guac??! Yes, please!
So to help me manage the chaos, I turn to the frozen and refrigerated dairy aisles of the grocery store. I like to keep frozen staples at the ready like these Gardenburger patties and frozen corn to whip up a dinner on the quick → Vegetarian Tortilla Casserole, coming right up!
Frozen food gives me the flexibility to use what I need and reseal the rest for later, since frozen products last longer… that’s because freezing food seals in freshness. And, there’s less food waste that way.
Fun fact: Did you know, frozen products often contain more nutrients than fresh foods!? That’s because it’s harvested at peak of ripeness and nutrition and flash frozen, which preserves the nutrient content.
This Vegetarian Tortilla Casserole is made with wholesome ingredients like onions, bell pepper, corn, beans, vegetarian burger patties, corn tortillas and shredded cheese. It’s a great recipe for vegetarians and meat eaters alike, since the Gardenburger patties have a meaty flavor and texture. LOVE THEM.
This recipe is easy to prep in advance or last minute… saute the veggies, crumble in the veggie burgers, mix with seasonings… and assemble into the pan. It only needs to bake for about 15 minutes until the cheese is melty and bubbly. Oh yes, bubbly cheese is just what you need in your life!
Vegetarian Tortilla Casserole… let’s do this. For more recipe ideas inspired by foods in the freezer and dairy aisles, check out EasyHomeMeals.com.Print
This Vegetarian Tortilla Casserole is made with wholesome ingredients like onions, bell pepper, corn, beans, vegetarian burger patties, corn tortillas and shredded cheese. It’s a great recipe for vegetarians and meat eaters alike, since the veggie patties have a meaty flavor and texture. LOVE THIS ONE.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ large bell pepper, diced
- 4 original Gardenburger patties
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (4 oz can) diced green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 6 ounces Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare 9×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Heat olive oil in nonstick skillet over medium high heat; sauté onion and bell pepper until softened.
- Crumble Gardenburger patties and stir into pepper and onions. Stir in cumin and chili powder until fully incorporated.
- Stir in green chilies, corn, black beans and salsa and cook until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Place 4 tortillas in bottom of baking dish with edges overlapping. Spread ⅓ veggie mixture over tortillas and top with 2 ounces of cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients by assembling layers of tortillas, veggies, and cheese. Ending with shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Calories: 403
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 1133mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 56g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 29mg
Keywords: Vegetarian Tortilla Casserole
MORE WEEKNIGHT GOODNESS
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, RD (registered dietitian nutritionist), Peloton addict and mama to two active and hungry boys. On Love & Zest, you’ll find healthy-ish recipes that fuel the whole family. I’m all about veggie-filled breakfast, meal prep recipes, healthier sweets, and easy weeknight dinners made in the Instant Pot or sheet pan.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!