Have you tried Chocolate Zoats aka Zucchini Oatmeal yet? It’s like zucchini bread in a bowl and a yummy way to eat up your veggies for breakfast!
One of my #lifegoals is to have a big garden. Like big enough to feed our family. A garden that is more than a side hobby. One where my littles can play in the dirt, explore, learn about planting and harvesting, and experience how food is grown.
You see I don’t want just a garden but a gardener. I want to be a better gardener myself, but a dream of mine is to have a garden consultant and someone to tend to my garden for me… ya know like when I just don’t feel like gardening or if I’m traveling or on vacation. Someone that can help with the soil pH, and where to plant this and that and when and all those details that I just seem to get wrong because I don’t have a green thumb. Do those people exist?
Right now I have lots of problems with gardening.
- Florida. We have weird growing seasons here. It’s hot year around and all the gardening books and planting instructions on the back of the seed packet don’t make sense for our weather. We can’t plant after first frost because we don’t get frost, I mean we really don’t get spring or fall or winter. It’s HOT 75% of the year. #confusedgardener
- I’m all in and then I abandon it. I get super pumped about planting and watering and then I forget about it for days straight. It’s sad. And who wants to pull weeds? I don’t get those people that actually like to pull weeds. I’m not one of them.
- Bugs. They love the heat. I try my hand at organic gardening year after year and then it gets attacked by pests.
- We’re renting. Since we got married, we’ve lived in three rentals and I’ve planted container gardens on our balcony in the first apartment and raised beds in the rental houses. While I do take herbs and plants with me when we move, I know that garden is temporary.
If you are a gardener and have successfully grown zucchini this year, you may be trying find way to use your bounty. Or if you’re like me you’re buying it up all the zucchini from the grocery store because it’s super cheap right now!
This bowl of chocolate zoats is so so good and a great way to get in some veggies at breakfast! It’s simple…
stir shredded zucchini
+ cocoa powder
into your oats while cooking…
= Chocolate Zoats aka Zucchini Oatmeal
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 cups water
- ½ to 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoons coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- drizzle of honey
- chocolate shavings, optional
- Over medium high heat, bring oats, water, and zucchini to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to simmer; continue to cook stirring occasionally until water is absorbed and oats are thickened.
- Divide oatmeal into two bowls and top each with banana, coconut flakes, almond butter, honey, and chocolate shavings if desired.