You guys… the best homemade chocolate chip cookies are L I F E.
Really, it doesn’t get much better than a warm buttery chocolate chip cookie… crispy on the outside and slightly soft in the middle. When they just come out of the oven the chocolate chips are all melty and slightly under cooked in the middle and as they cool down they are the ideal chocolate chip cookie for milk dunking.
Ah. This chocolate chip cookie recipe is my go to and has been one that I’ve baked over and over and over again… so much so that I know the ingredients by heart. The process of baking cookies is relaxing. Something about baking a recipe by memory is very soothing and nurturing to the soul.
I’m re-sharing this recipe with you today with a few adaptions because we all need a BEST HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE recipe in our lives. This post is filled with my tips and tricks of cookie baking along the way.
We need recipes like this because they remind us of when life was more simple. Back when we would eat chocolate chip cookies on the reg growing up because there were no food fears or weight gain worry or the like. And we (as a culture) desperately need to find that again.
It’s kinda like why eating a brownie can be good for you. Same goes for eating the best homemade chocolate chip cookies.
Baking cookies is not a weekly or monthly or even every other month occurrence in our house, but when you need the best homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe, you know where to find it. Like birthday parties, backyard summer get togethers, or just when you have a cookie craving…. this is the recipe you need to make! I promise it won’t let you down.
The original recipe (plus walnuts) is my ultimate, but every so often I’ll mix it up by using gluten free flour or stir in a little almond meal or add peppermint extract or coconut flakes… and the list goes on. Pretty much every cookie recipe on this site has been adapted from these Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.
Because it’s the base and the best.
Healthier Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookie adaptions…
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour + 1/2 cup almond flour (instead of 1 cup + 3 T all purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- makes 20 cookies
- bake 12 minutes
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie adaptions
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons gluten free all purpose flour (instead of regular all purpose flour)
Baking from hard frozen dough
- add about 3 minutes to the cook time.
- When I bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies “just because”, we don’t need 18. So I scoop the dough out and store them in a plastic bag in the freezer, taking care not to smash the cookie dough balls together so that they freeze individually. This is great because when cookie dough cravings strike… you can just bake one or two cookies!
My favorite Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie adaptions
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- stir these two into the batter when you add the chocolate chips
Here’s a side by side view of how the chocolate chip cookies stack up: original, healthy whole grain, gluten free, and baked from frozen. + More of my favorites in here in the blog archives…
And for my best homemade chocolate chip cookie baking tips…
- thick crystal kosher or sea salt… do it.
- don’t over cream or over mix… there is too much of a good thing.
- pack and level the flour
- mix chocolate chip sizes… chocolate chunks, regular size, mini chips (ahh the texture variety of chocolate is on point)
- parchment paper… who wants to clean cooking sheets? not me! thank you parchment.
- ½ cup butter, slightly softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon thick crystal salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F; line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars.
- Mix in the egg, vanilla extract, salt and baking soda until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixing just until combined, making sure not to over mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips to combine.
- Using cookie scoop, place 18 uniform cookie dough balls on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Place in dough in freezer for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer and roll each ball of cookie dough together in hands to compress it; and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer parchment paper with cookies to cooling rack; allow to cool for 10 minutes. Store in airtight container or plastic bag.