The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Because homemade chocolate chip cookies are L.I.F.E.
Really, it doesn’t get much better than a warm buttery chocolate chip cookie… crispy on the outside and slightly soft in the middle. When they just come out of the oven the chocolate chips are all melty and slightly under cooked in the middle and as they cool down they are the ideal chocolate chip cookie for milk dunking.
We need recipes like this because they remind us of when life was more simple. Back when we would eat chocolate chip cookies on the reg growing up because there were no food fears or weight gain worry. And because we (as a culture) desperately need to find that again.
For instance, it’s kinda like why eating a brownie can be good for you. Same goes for eating the best homemade chocolate chip cookies.
Also, baking cookies is not a weekly or monthly or even every other month occurrence in our house – like birthday parties, backyard summer get togethers, or just when you have a cookie craving…. this is the recipe you need to make! I promise it won’t let you down. When you need the best homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe, you know where to find it.
This chocolate chip cookie recipe is my go to and has been one that I’ve baked over and over and over again… so much so that I know the ingredients by heart. The process of baking cookies is relaxing. Something about baking a recipe by memory is very soothing and nurturing to the soul.
I’m re-sharing this recipe with you today with a few adaptions because we all need a best homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe in our lives. Also, this post is filled with my tips and tricks of cookie baking along the way.
How to make soft chocolate chip cookies?
The key to making soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies is to remove them from the oven before they appear to be done. Yes, they may look slightly doughy in the middle but they’ll continue to cook on the baking sheet once removed from the oven.
Freezing cookie dough?
When I bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies “just because”, we don’t need 18. So I scoop the dough out and store them in a plastic bag in the freezer, taking care not to smash the cookie dough balls together so that they freeze individually. This is great because when cookie dough cravings strike… you can just bake one or two cookies! Simply add about 3 minutes to the cookie time and voila!
The original recipe (plus walnuts) is my ultimate, but every so often I’ll mix it up by using gluten free flour to make gluten free chocolate chip cookies, stir in a little almond meal, or add peppermint extract or coconut flakes – the list goes on.
Because pretty much every cookie recipe on this site has been adapted from these Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe since it’s the base and the best.
And for my best homemade chocolate chip cookie baking tips
thick crystal kosher or sea salt… do it.
don’t over cream or over mix… there is too much of a good thing
pack and level the flour
mix chocolate chip sizes… chocolate chunks, regular size, mini chips (ahh the texture variety of chocolate is on point)
parchment paper… who wants to clean cooking sheets? not me! thank you parchment.
Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies Adaptions
Healthier Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookie adaptions
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour + 1/2 cup almond flour (instead of 1 cup + 3 T all purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- makes 20 cookies
- bake 12 minutes
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons gluten free all purpose flour (instead of regular all purpose flour)
My favorite Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie adaptions
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- stir these two into the batter when you add the chocolate chips
Here’s a side by side view of how the chocolate chip cookies stack up
healthy whole grain
baked from frozen
Looking for more chocolate chip cookie recipes?
Best homemade chocolate chip cookies plus 10 ways to adapt it!
- 1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon thick crystal salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F; line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars.
- Mix in the egg, vanilla extract, salt and baking soda until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixing just until combined, making sure not to over mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips to combine.
- Using cookie scoop, place 18 uniform cookie dough balls on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Place in dough in freezer for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer and roll each ball of cookie dough together in hands to compress it; and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer parchment paper with cookies to cooling rack; allow to cool for 10 minutes. Store in airtight container or plastic bag.
Keywords: Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, millennial mom of two active and hungry boys, which makes me an around the clock milkmaid and cheerio picker upper. Here on Love & Zest, I share (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!