Shrimp Cauliflower Fried Rice… your favorite takeout food made even healthier (and tastier) at home!
We are all busy. And can feel just blah about cooking after a long day… and it’s so easy to just pick up the phone and order take-out… I know I’m game on those crazy nights of the week.
What do you often turn to when ordering take out?? Interesting to note, Chinese food is one of the most ordered takeout foods in the US.
Because who doesn’t LOVE them some fried rice?!
Sure takeout seems fast and convenient and it definitely can be, but what if you could have the same meal, just as delicious, just as fast, and a ton more nutritious made right at home?!
Enter this yummy bowl of Shrimp Cauliflower Fried Rice. Better for you and quicker too – that’s exactly what’s required when it comes to cooking dinner around my house.
As an added bonus, Shrimp Cauliflower Fried Rice is a one pot meal, or should I say one skillet meal which means EASY CLEAN UP!
Since this is homemade and not takeout, you can control how much oil goes into your dish and take the veggies up a notch! That’s always my complaint about ordering fried rice at a restaurant– there’s never enough veggies. We typically will ask for an extra side of broccoli or steam up a bag at home to mix in.
An easy way to increase the nutrition of a rice-based dish and to add some extra veggies is to use cauliflower rice in place of some of the rice that would normally be used. This way you don’t lose the rice completely, you keep a consistent texture, and get a bit of extra veggies and less carbs for those that don’t need as much.
I used frozen cauliflower rice in this recipe – a great time saver, super easy, and just as nutritious.
Peas, carrots, and bell pepper to keep it simple and traditional, but feel free to add scallions, edamame, mushrooms, or any other veggie that suits your Shrimp Cauliflower Fried Rice desires. You can’t go wrong with more veggies!
This Shrimp Cauliflower Rried Rice is ready in just 25 minutes! This is the perfect dish for a quick, need it in a hurry Monday through Friday meal or just as a healthier alternative to the standard cozy “take out and a movie” meal.
- 14 raw jumbo shrimp
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups (12 ounces) frozen or fresh cauliflower rice
- 2 cups pre cooked brown rice
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- Defrost jumbo shrimp and pat each dry with paper towel.
- In large nonstick skillet or wok, heat olive oil in pan over medium heat and stir in ginger.
- Arrange shrimp evenly in wok and cook for about 7 minutes, or until shrimp is fully cooked when it turns pink and is no longer grey. Remove cooked shrimp and ginger from the pan; set aside.
- In skillet, add butter and once melted sauté onion, bell pepper, peas, and carrots together and cook for 5 minutes. Move veggies to side of pan and add eggs. Scramble eggs until fully cooked.
- Stir in cauliflower rice and brown rice into veggies and eggs and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in pineapple; season with soy sauce.
More Cauliflower Recipes
Hi I’m Kristina LaRue, millennial mom of two active and hungry boys, which makes me an around the clock milkmaid and cheerio picker upper. Here on Love & Zest, I share (mostly) healthy recipes to fuel the whole family and real life stories of modern motherhood.
Did you make one of my recipes?? Leave a review in the comments and tag @loveandzest #loveandzest on Instagram!
If you’re a modern mama– I’d love for you to join my Facebook group A Modern Motherhood Collective!